The Study Abroad Deferred Payment is a no-interest/no fees program designed to assist you in covering your program deposit and flight booking costs if you do not have the funds available prior to receiving your financial aid. It enables you to pay for these costs at the same time as your program fees with your financial aid package. The Study Abroad Deferred Payment covers these costs until the program fee is billed to your account.
Other possible initial costs associated with attendance on a program abroad, such as passports, visas, housing deposits, and medical visits, will need to be paid for directly by you, often before your financial aid disbursement occurs.
- Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Duluth campus
- Must have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $15,000 or less for the previous or current academic year on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To determine your EFC you can view your Financial Aid Summary in MyU. You can also visit One Stop, or view your current FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) at www.fasfa.ed.gov.
- Must have applied or are planning to apply to a credit-bearing Fall, Winter Break, Spring, Spring Break, Academic Year, or Calendar Year UMD, Cosponsored, or Affiliate program (does not include programs on other UMN campuses)
- Must complete a Financial Aid meeting with UMD One Stop Student Services and a Study Abroad Advising appointment with International Programs & Services
What to bring to the meetings:
- Financial Aid: have a FAFSA on file and bring study abroad cost estimates and the term you plan to study abroad if available
- Study Abroad: Review the steps to study abroad and bring the information from your financial aid meeting if available
Ensure that your program is an eligible program before applying. Only Fall, Winter Break, Spring, Spring Break, Academic Year, or Calendar Year UMD, Cosponsored, and Affiliate programs are eligible. May and Summer programs are not eligible.
- View UMD programs
- View affiliate providers (Note: Other UMN campus study abroad programs are not eligible for this program as you are billed through the respective campus, and not UMD.)
If your program is not eligible for Study Abroad Deferred Payment, consider STA Travel's Book Now, Pay Later program, for purchasing your airfare, which allows you to pay a small deposit upfront and the remaining balance closer to the time of departure.
You must print, fill out, and submit the completed agreement form to apply by the deadline. Turn in completed forms to International Programs & Services, 138 Kirby Plaza
The Study Abroad Deferred Payment Agreement form must be submitted to International Programs & Services BEFORE the application deadline for your program. Prior to submitting the form, you will need to schedule a Financial Aid meeting with One Stop Student Services in addition to a Study Abroad Advising appointment with International Programs & Services study abroad staff.