UMN Study Abroad COVID-19 Protocols >
Our study abroad programs around the world will comply with local public health recommendations, as well as, the recommended standards of the University of Minnesota.
Study Abroad Programming
At this point in time, we are planning UMD study abroad programs for future academic terms. We are actively consulting with health experts, monitoring health websites, are in conversations with broader university leadership, and taking additional health precautions. Use our Program Search to explore programs offered during these terms. Decisions about whether programs will run are being made on a program by program basis, and you will be notified via email if your program is canceled.
How do I prepare for study abroad?
When to apply
Due to the pandemic, there are additional steps to study abroad that our expert staff will walk you through. It is recommended that you apply and start the process of studying abroad as soon as possible, to ensure a seamless process. Don’t wait until the last minute!
Planning to go abroad
Create a parallel plan. One plan if you will be able to go abroad, another if you will not be able to go abroad.
The content of this webpage will be updated regularly. Continue to check back for new information.
Is my program running?
Will I be charged fees if my program is canceled prior to the start date?
- UMD Application Fee - if your program is canceled by UMD or the program provider (e.g. the foreign university), you will receive a full refund of the UMD application fee to your student account.
- UMD Confirmation Deposit - if you have submitted your UMD Confirmation of Participation form (required for this deposit to be charged) and your program is canceled by UMD or the program provider, you will receive a full refund of the UMD confirmation deposit to your student account.
- Host University or Program Provider Fees - If payments are required by you to your host university or program provider, make sure you understand their cancellation policies as they may differ from UMD. If you need assistance with this or are unsure, contact your UMD Study Abroad Coordinator.
What will happen to my UMD scholarship if my program is canceled?
Study abroad scholarships must be applied to an approved study abroad program. Therefore, if your program is canceled, your UMD Study Abroad scholarship will be rescinded. You will need to submit a new scholarship application if you apply for a different term.
Will I need to submit new course reviews if I study abroad in a different term?
- It depends on your program.
- It’s always recommended to check the Study Abroad Course Database.
- Some course reviews that were in the Study Abroad Course Database may have expired and you will now need to get them reviewed
- For some study abroad programs, there will be no need to get additional courses reviewed because they will be offered in the same term you intend to study abroad
- For others, the courses you were planning to take may not be offered during a different term and you will need to get a new set of courses reviewed.
How do I complete the course review process in our virtual environment?
- We’re working to improve the course review process and adapt it to the virtual environment. Our website will be updated when the process is changed.
- Complete the Academic Planning Form (APF), a fillable PDF, and forward it with relevant syllabi to the respective UMD department head for review:
- Request the department head to reply to you and [email protected] with the review outcome so Study Abroad staff have documentation of the review.
- Once you receive the review result, document it (if not already done by the faculty reviewer) on your master APF—that you will submit to Study Abroad once all of your reviews are completed