Important Documents

Your Passport 

If you do not have a passport, apply for one immediately as processing can take 6–8 weeks, or longer. When we re-open, you can apply for a passport right in our office's U.S. Passport Facility, in addition to post offices, county, or municipal offices. Our office also takes official Passport and Visa photos, so inquire about our services. You can prepare your application online. If you have a passport, check the expiration date to make sure it is valid for at least six months after your planned return home. Make several photocopies of the information page of your passport for your own use and save them electronically in a secure location. Be sure to leave a copy at home with your family or another responsible person.

Keep your passport in a safe place while traveling. When not traveling, keep it in a secure place in your residency. If you lose your passport, report this to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy and apply for a new one. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate or embassy. It is also recommended that a parent, guardian or emergency contact also have a valid passport in case they need or want to visit you during your program. For more information on passports, visit the U.S. State Department’s website

Visas & Residence Permits

Many countries require students to have visas or residence permits. Information regarding visas and residence permits can be obtained from the foreign embassy or consulate in the U.S. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate or embassy. Our office provides visa photo services. Inquire for details.

International Student Identity Card (ISIC) 

The International Student Identification Card is one of the few internationally recognized proofs of your student status. It provides discounts and benefits for international travel. The card can also provide you with some accident/sickness abroad coverage. For more information on obtaining an ISIC, visit their website.

Absentee Voting

You can vote from anywhere in the world. To apply for an absentee ballot as a U.S. citizen temporarily overseas, check out the following sites: