Study Abroad Program Learning Outcomes
As a result of participating in a study abroad program sponsored by UMD International Programs & Services, students will:
1) Demonstrate self-confidence toward cultural experiences
- Feel confident in interacting with people from another culture who hold different interests, values, or perspectives.
- Feel comfortable having intellectual discussions about international issues with family, friends, or classmates.
- Confidently relate cultural experiences to their academic major(s).
- Have tools to effectively explain how cultural experiences relate to job-related skills.
- Succeed in traveling to or living in the host country for a future job if necessary.
2) Demonstrate awareness of one's own cultural values and biases
- Understand how cultural values impact views.
- Learn how culture could bias thinking about other people, places, and things.
- Reflect upon cultural values and how they shape thoughts and behaviors.
- Realize how culture can influence ways of thinking.
3) Demonstrate a global mindset and appreciation for cultural differences
- Learn what being a “global citizen” means in a meaningful way.
- Know the importance of understanding global perspectives.
- Learn about the host country’s culture from their perspectives.
- Understand how their decisions and behaviors could be perceived by individuals from another country.
- Reflect on how a study abroad experience can broaden ways of thinking about other people, places, and things.
The three study abroad program learning outcomes align with the Campus Learning Goals and Outcomes: Undergraduate #5, Demonstrate self-knowledge across a range of developmental areas.