Accepted Exchange Students

Visa to study in the U.S.

As an exchange student at UMD, you will need to apply for an F-1 Visa. This requires paying the SEVIS I-901 fee and visa application fee before your interview. Please reference the U.S. Department of State website for the most up to date and accurate information on F-1 visa application requirements.  

It is very important to enter the U.S. with the proper visa. You must apply for an entry visa stamp in your passport so that you can enter the U.S. in student status. F visas can only be obtained outside of the U.S. at a U.S. embassy or consulate. For more guidance on the visa process, you can follow steps outlined on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website

Arrival to Duluth 

International Student Services (ISS) provides complimentary pick-up service. Visit the ISS website for additional details, and watch your email for future messages from ISS.

UMD Identification Number & Email 

All exchange students will be issued a UMD student ID number and email which you'll use while studying at UMD. If a form requests a student ID number before you receive it, the field can be left blank. 


For students living on campus, further housing application instructions will be given via email after you have been officially accepted.  

Insurance & Enrollment 

The University of Minnesota mandates that all international students enroll in the Student Health Benefit Plan. Information about the plan and costs is available on the University of Minnesota Office Student Health Benefits page. You will automatically be enrolled in the health insurance plan and billed during your semester(s) at UMD. An optional dental plan can be purchased as routine dental work typically isn't covered under medical plans in the U.S. If interested, you can enroll upon arrival and it will be billed during your semester(s) at UMD. 

Billing & Payment

Your UMD bill, which will include insurance and on-campus housing charges, will be issued in accordance with UMD billing and payment due dates. More information about billing and payments can be found on the International Student Services website.