Important Documents

Your Passport 

If you do not have a passport, apply for one at your earliest convenience as it can take a few months to receive one. Check current processing times on the State Department website. 

You can apply for a passport on campus in the International Programs & Services office Passport Facility (by appointment only)—in addition to post offices, county, or municipal offices. Our office also takes official passport and visa photos.

If you already have a passport, check the expiration date to make sure it is valid for at least six months after your planned return home. Make several copies of the information page of your passport for your own use. Bring a few copies with you, keep them in separate places, and save a digital copy. Be sure to provide a copy with your family or whomever you’ve designated your in case of emergency contact.

When traveling abroad, keep your passport in a safe place. When not traveling, keep it in a secure place in your residency. If you lose your passport, report it. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate or embassy for assistance.

It is recommended that a parent, guardian, or emergency contact also have a valid passport in case they need or want to visit you during your program. For more information on passports, visit the U.S. State Department’s website.

Visas & Residence Permits

Many countries require students to have a visa or permit to study abroad. Information regarding visas and permits can be obtained from the foreign embassy or consulate in the U.S. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate or embassy. Our office provides limited visa photo services.

International Student Identity Card (ISIC) 

The International Student Identification Card is one of the few internationally recognized proofs of your student status. It provides discounts and benefits for international travel. The card can also provide you with some accident/sickness abroad coverage. For more information on obtaining an ISIC, visit their website.

Absentee Voting

You can vote from anywhere in the world. To apply for an absentee ballot as a U.S. citizen temporarily overseas, check out the following sites:

Study Abroad Student Information Release Authorization

If you wish to allow Study Abroad staff to provide information to a designee regarding your study abroad program, grades, billing, tuition & fees, or financial aid complete the Study Abroad Student Information Release Authorization form. Due to federal student privacy laws, this information cannot be shared without permission.

Power of Attorney

It is strongly recommended that you select a trusted, responsible person and grant them power of attorney. Do this in addition to granting parent/guest access to your student account. Power of attorney is a legal authorization that assigns another person the power to act as your legal representative and take care of your personal, business, and financial affairs while you are out of the country. Without power of attorney, it’s difficult to impossible for someone to act on your behalf to obtain information about your financial aid, complete financial aid paperwork, or resolve other financial and legal matters due to federal student privacy laws. Information for obtaining power of attorney. UMD Student Legal Services may be able to provide assistance in establishing a power of attorney.