Know all costs before you go
Before confirming participation in your study abroad program, it is your responsibility to know all program costs. Check with our office or the affiliate program provider to confirm your program costs and ensure you fully understand how, what, and when you will be billed.
Do I have to pay for UMD tuition and for Study Abroad?
UMD tuition is waived if you participate in a semester study abroad program. When your account is billed, you'll see study abroad program costs instead of UMD's tuition and fees on your account. The following exceptions apply.
- International Student Teaching: If you participate in an International Student Teaching experience, you'll be billed for UMD study abroad program costs in addition to UMD's tuition and fees for any credits taken on-campus at UMD. Note that tuition banding cannot apply.
- UMD Courses in Addition to Courses Abroad: If you enroll in any UMD online or on-campus course(s), in addition to your study abroad program courses, you'll be charged both UMD tuition rates and fees in addition to the UMD study abroad program costs.
- Tuition Banding: Credits taken on study abroad programs cannot be used in tuition banding. Tuition banding is the UMD cost structure that allows full-time undergraduate students to pay a flat tuition rate based on a 13-credit course load. Fall or Spring semester credits taken beyond the 13-credit load are tuition-free. Unfortunately, study abroad credits cannot be used.
Where will I see charges for Studying Abroad?
When participating in UMD or affiliate programs, most study abroad program fees are billed to your UMD student account. If you have questions about where charges are billed, please refer to your program webpage for details or contact our office.
Note: if you do not see a cost estimate on the program webpage for the semester/term you intend to go abroad, the cost has not yet been determined. Please note cost estimates and fees may change depending on international economic factors. UMD Study Abroad delays the posting of final fees until enrollments, inflation, and exchange rates are determined in order to provide students with the most accurate pricing. We strive to post final fees by October 1 for Spring programs, March 1 for May/Summer programs, and May 1 for Fall and Academic year programs.
- UMD Semester or Year Programs: If you're participating in a UMD semester or year program, you'll see the program fee on your UMD student account. Host institution fees and housing costs vary for each program.
- Affiliate Programs: If you're participating in an affiliate program, you will see their program fees appear on your UMD account. However, your affiliate provider will bill you directly for housing security deposits or upgrade costs (such as single-room housing or optional tours).
- UMD Faculty-Led Programs: If you're participating in a UMD faculty-led program, you will see all program fees appear on your UMD student account.
- Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: Estimated out-of-pocket costs aren't billed to your student account. These estimated costs (such as airfare, personal expenses, books etc.) are costs that you'll pay before and during the course of your program. We provide these estimated out-of-pocket costs so you can compare program pricing and think about your budget. See individual program web pages for the breakdown of program fees and estimated out-of-pocket costs.
When will I see charges and financial aid for Study Abroad?
All study abroad charges fall under the policies of UMD One Stop, what and when to pay. Fees are subject to change.
- When You Apply for Study Abroad: A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your student account upon submission of your online application.
- When you Confirm Participation in Your Program: A $400 non-refundable deposit will be billed to your student account upon submission of the Confirmation of Participation form. This deposit will be applied towards the program fee. If your study abroad program takes place in the next tax year, the deposit will be billed after January 1st.
- When your Study Abroad Term Begins: The study abroad program fee (less the deposit) for all UMD and affiliate programs will be billed to your student account according to the UMD billing schedule, prior to the start of each semester. Winter Session programs are posted with Spring semester billing. May Session programs are posted with Summer session billing. See the program webpages for specific program fees. The program fee will be shown on your student bill, broken down into categories (see the last section below).
- Financial Aid or Scholarship Awards: If you receive financial aid or scholarship awards, they will be posted to your student account according to the UMD disbursement schedule. Financial aid and scholarships will first pay any pre-existing charges on your student account. Any remaining credit balance on your account will be disbursed in one of two ways:
- A direct deposit into an account you have set up through your student account (recommended), OR alternatively,
- A check can be mailed to the address you have listed in your MyU account. You can expect to receive the funds within 15 business days after receipt of the most previous payment. For more information and details regarding the disbursement of funds, visit One Stop. Note: UMD will not mail checks internationally.
What will I see on my UMD student account?
On your student bill, you'll see the study abroad program fee broken down into several categories to assist with your U.S. income tax reporting.
- The educational portions of the study abroad program are 1098-T tax-deductible.
- The non-educational portions are not tax-deductible.
>> VIEW THIS SAMPLE of study abroad charges that may appear on your UMD semester bill to get an idea of the cost categories and how they are broken down.